I have heard that many Samsung devices have a flash counter so that the company can know if the device had been rooted, even if the device was unrooted later. Are such flash counters or any similar software default in every Android device ? I have an Asus Zenfone 5. Does it too have similar software like Samsung's flash counter ? Thanks in advance.View original question
Are flash counters a part of Android?
Ask by : ramkiran November 11, 2015 16:32
Answer by : rjt.rockxMarch 30, 2015 17:53
It is not built into Android, but is built into the bootloader. Not all Android devices have it.
As said by @GiantTree, the easiest way is to boot into the bootloader and checking the screen output. Asus devices in general, don't have any such counter.
Samsung uses a flash counter or the Knox counter, which is triggered when any changes are made to the stock partitions. Knox is tough to reset, but apps like Triangle Away can reset the flash counter.
Rooting usually does not trigger any flash counter, except in cases where you have to install the SuperUser (su) binary manually by flashing it. A clean unroot will, in most cases, restore the counter if it is triggered.
For more information, please see this link : http://www.kingoapp.com/help/samsung-knox-counter.htm
Although the above link contains material related to the Kingo Root App, it contains well-explained information regarding this topic.View original answer
- Stop from Samsung Galaxy S4 turning on when receiving text message
- Popups, dialogs, notifications, toasts: what's the difference?
- Launch a "shortcut" in Tasker?
- AOKP Permission Manager?
- Update an app that is not in Google Play
- Can I use a keyboard for Apple?
- Should I update those pre-installed programs that I never use?
- Can I override page buddy's recommended applications settings?
- How do you skip the PIN to go directly to the camera from the lock screen?
- screen not working properly on my tablet
- Control of apps while driving. (Macros?)
- creating new folder hangs current window on pc?
- Party Mode or guest Access for Google Play Music?
- Media Player stuck on 00:00 (randomly) when opened
- Restrictions of Play Store on custom ROMs
- CyanogenMod: Low volume parts of songs are not played (muted)
- Improving HTC Sensation XE somehow
- Cannot mount internal SD card in Semaphore CWM Recovery v126.96.36.199
- Connecting android device with PC using HDMI (video recording)
- adb shell ls giving strange results
- How to connect android device to projector?
- how do I get rid of this google searchbar?
- How do I manually enter Clockwork ROM Recovery?
- I did a factory reset to sell my phone, and my photos are still there according to the new owner…
- Location of Chrome user data (Specifically session data)
- How do I upload photos from Android phone to Google Plus without sharing?
- How do I factory reset my HTC Desire?
- TCL Idol X (s950) stuck in bootloop, after flashing new firmware
- Turn off vibration notification for ALL apps at once
- How to take notes with keyboard input and drawings?